The City of Chicago offers waivers of the permit fees for senior citizens for projects that meet the following criteria:
• Building Owner must be 65 years old or older.
• The Building Owner must have owned the building for at least 10 years.
• The Building Owner must have lived in the building for at least the last ten years.
• The scope of work for the permit is for repair, renovation, alteration, or additions to a building with three or less dwelling units.
• The income level of the Building Owner is no more than 80% of the Chicago area median family income as calculated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Household Size Maximum Household Income